About This Project

My Aunt Carol (Giampa) was a life long cook and the holder of my family's culinary traditions. When she passed, her recipe collection came to me. Having learned many of my cooking skills from her and forging traditions of my own, I am honored and challenged to explore the many recipes of her mother and aunts that never made it into my repertoire. Many of these recipes are desserts. This project is an attempt to both memorialize Aunt Carol (or Jumpy as she was known to most others) and explore/test/review these old family recipes. Join me?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stollen


I've added the first recipe under the very creatively named section "Recipes" below. Since it's a typed recipe I don't need to translate it for you, let me know if you think it's too small.

I chose Stollen partly because it's a Christmas bread and so there is no pressure to make it right now and partly because it's one my mom mentioned specifically when I was gathering the recipes from my aunt's house. She remembers it as HER grandmother's stollen, and that her grandmother must have gotten it from HER mother, who brought it from Germany. I'll leave the genealogy to others but will get my mom to fill in the names here. Eventually we may be able to link a photo of her grandmother to it as well.

If you look at the recipe you will see it calls for ingredients of ridiculous quantity. I said to mom, enough to feed the whole county! She said when they made it at Christmastime they made it for EVERYONE. I guess so! Next time you have 4lbs of raisins or 1/2 a quart of orange peel hanging around, you know what to do.

Since I didn't whip up a 10lb batch of stollen for this post, please enjoy the lovely photo above, gratefully lifted from http://www.thefreshloaf.com. Thanks Fresh Loaf!



Experimenting with set up and all that! Bear with me as I learn Blogger please!

No comments:

Post a Comment